About the Inn
The H. D. Ellis Inn is proud of the historical marker in its front yard. The marker reads...
"In 1883, Blissfield banker Hiram D. Ellis (1826 - 1900) built this house. The bracketed cornice, hip roof and bay window reflect the influence of Italianate architecture; the classical porch probably was added in the early twentieth century. Ellis emigrated from New York and settled in Blissfield Township in 1842. From 1873 - 1877, he and F. G. Beagle operated a grocery and hardware store. Around 1879, Ellis joined Arthur D. Gilmore in a banking firm. He also served as postmaster and township supervisor."
Today, the house has been transformed into a comfortable bed and breakfast, while preserving the history and tradition. The four attractive bedrooms with private baths and common areas are appointed with the finest furniture of the period.