About the Inn

The H. D. Ellis Inn at 415 West Adrian St. in Blissfield is proud of the state historical marker in its front yard. The marker reads...

    "In 1883, Blissfield banker Hiram D. Ellis (1826-1900) built this house. The bracketed cornice, hip roof and bay window reflect the influence of Italianate architecture; the classical porch probably was added in the early twentieth century.
     Ellis emigrated from New York and settled in Blissfield Township in 1842. From 1873 to 1877, he and F. G. Beagle operated a grocery and hardware store. Around 1879, Ellis joined Arthur D. Gilmore in a banking firm. He also served as postmaster and township supervisor."


The Hiram D. Ellis House